Thursday, September 11, 2014

Blood Tests and PETs

My CA27.29 is up 3 points again today.  That is a tiny increase, but a trend none the less.  So, today Dr J requested a repeat of that test through the regular lab as well as sending me to an outside lab.  Having two separate tests from two separate blood draws will provide a comparison that can tell us if the regular lab is providing accurate results.  I don't think we will see anything different, but it will rule out the concern that the test results are wrong. 
And today I completed my 6th round of Havalen chemo.  So, Dr J is also ordering a PET scan.  6 months ago the insurance denied the request for a PET because they felt I was not sick enough.  Maybe so, but it made it so that we didn't have a recent baseline test to compare with.  I have now had 2 CT& bone scan exams in place of the PET, both came back clean both times.  But, the PET scan looks at your body in a different way. 
So, while I am always praying for the miracle that my cancer will be gone and I can look forward to having some of my other dreams to life this week I would appreciate you praying with me for these specific blessings:
1. I am praying that the blood tests will be accurate and support each other.  I want to know where we stand, and if both are the same(ish) then we can be sure that they are accurate.  This will help us know what is happening and how we should move foward with treatment.
2. I am praying that the insurance will authorize a PET scan.  Hopefully this will allow us a different look at things and help the Drs find whatever little cells are keeping me from being cured.

xoxo,
Kel

No comments: