Monday, September 29, 2014

The whole story of my pending biopsy

I have had a down-turn in my cancer situation.  Recently I completed my 6th cycle of Halaven chemo.  So, in spite of completing CT scans a couple of weeks ago, which came back clear, Dr J wanted to get a PET scan.  The insurance company began denying PET scans about 9 months ago when my CA27.29 blood tests had been dropping.  I just wasn't sick enough to justify the cost of PET scans.  But, in the last few weeks my blood counts have been climbing.  This justified authorization of PET scans, so that is what I got last week.

The PET scan day came - I went in at 6am, got the scan and then went on with my day just like any other day.  The PET returned results I wasn't expecting.  I was expecting nothing since that is what the CT had just shown.  But, instead, the PET showed activity in my back where it has been before, but has been inactive for a long time.  There are also a couple of new spots on my spine.  Additionally, there are spots on my ribs on both sides.  Finally, soft tissue has been compromised again with at least one lymph node in my stomach that is active.

(Active refers to the cells in each of these regions having a higher uptake of the tracer (radioactive glucose) than other areas.  This increased uptake points out where the cancer is making itself at home.)

All those years ago when I was originally diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer they did a biopsy on my bone.  The pathology showed the cancer was still hormone positive, but HER2-.  (Original diagnosis was triple positive for those of you familiar with this) Now, with soft tissue involved again, we are going to get another biopsy. That is the silver lining of this storm cloud.  I don't know if one result is better than another - it only matters that the tests are accurate and conclusive so we can make the most intellegent treatment decision.

Given that the cancer is back in my bones also I need to remember to talk to Dr. J about going back on a bone strengthening treatment regimine.

So, tomorrow I will have a biopsy.  There is a lot of hoopla involved in any medical procedure.  Arrive 1.5 hours early, wait around, be poked by a needle (at least a needle biopsy is what I am hoping for) and endure 30-45 minutes of waiting around until they will release you into the hands of a driver.  So, local anesthetic and lots of waiting, but I can't drive myself tomorrow.  This is my first medical procedure where I have not had my parents to drive me - first time, but not a big deal - thanks to my amazing friends.  I am so thankful for good friends around me who make this all so easy.

Hoping for un uneventful procedure and highly accurate biopsy results.

No comments: