Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The state of me and girls names that aren't the names of girls

I have been off chemo since December.  It didn't start off as a plan to be off for that long, but there were the holidays and then I started having such intense back pain we wanted to get under control.  That pain became debilitating, traveled down my leg and progressed from numbness and difficulty lifting my leg into the car became an inability to walk without focused effort and excruciating pain.
One Monday I was in bed when a friend called.  I had been crying and praying for help when she rang. I answered the phone in sobs.  She dropped everything and took me to the ER where a lot of drugs and a couple of follow-up appointments later I found out the cancer spread to the nerve endings in my spine.  I began radiation and got relief within days.  My leg is no longer numb.  I can lift it again and have recovered a significant amount of strength.  It is truly miraculous to me how quickly I went from traveling across the country for the holidays and then work to being unable to get out of bed and then was back to work again. Another proof-case for the need to enjoy every good moment of your life, and treat all of them like they are good because tomorrow may be so rotten you will wish it was today again.
All this time off chemo has given me so much to be thankful for.  I could say it shows me how much I have been missing, but that just sounds sad and makes me feel low.  I prefer to see the glass half full. 
I have hair.  It took about 2 and a half months to grow enough eyelashes and get them thick enough that they brush on the lenses of my eyeglasses.  I also went in and got a haircut - something I haven't done in about 2 years with the exception of having my neck trimmed once.  I loved it even though I knew I would be loosing my hair again soon.  That day it needed cut and I just enjoyed that experience rather than debating if it was a waste of time and money. Living for the now!
I have also had a different parenting experience lately.  More energy and strength means more normal activities like running errands and crafting and cooking.  I forgot I liked to cook.
My entire body feels different than it has in a long time.  Is this how the rest of the world feels?
But, the chemo-cation is about to end.  T minus 1 day until they start dripping the next hope for NED (no evidence of disease) into my veins.  I have been reading up on all of the studies again.
I have read about Marianne, Th3resa and Emilia - all girl names and none referring to a girl.  These are drug studies for chemotherapy protocols for metastatic breast cancer treatment.  My most recent regimine, Herceptin + Perjeta + Taxotere, sent me to the hospital for vomiting 2 out of the 3 weeks I was getting treatment. I also had migraines and dreaded simple things like walking from the car to my office.  We are now looking to switch to Taxol with Herceptin and Perjeta if it is approved by the insurance company. 
A few weeks ago I took the Herceptin and Perjeta without a chemo agent.  I still had a migraine, though much more mild - only one day - and I recovered to a near normal energy level after 2 days. 
Anticipating what will happen with this round is stressful.  What will I feel like, will it be manageable, and if not, how bad will it be?  I don't think the kids can cope with Mom staying in the hospital again.  I don't know if I can cope with feeling rotten after feeling so good.
So, I know the anxiety will grow over the next day and a half.  But, I also know that God is with me - He is in control and has the power to see my little family through whatever is coming.
So, in spite of the nerves and unknowns, I move forward with conviction and gratitude that I am not alone.
God bless us, every one.
Kel

1 comment:

karen Belyea said...

Feeling for you. Try to take some ginger for your stomach and nausea. Are you on a different diet or any supplements? All the best, Karen