Saturday, May 3, 2014

New plan, new chemo, new day

I am so blessed! Thank you for your constant compassion and support.  Thank you for the prayers and concern.  I felt more empowered with each note of care and encouragement.  One of the greatest blessings of cancer is learning the value of family and true friends in a way you never would otherwise.  I treasure the relationships in my life immensely.

You should know, I enjoy the time I spend with the staff at the oncologist.  I decided long ago that no one lets their friends die, so I make sure everyone in the office knows I am a friend.  There are a lot of laughs and it is nice to keep up on what is happening in their families.  So, when you think of me going to the oncologist you don't need to feel sad.  We really make the best of it.  For example, if you stand on one foot with one foot and the other foot extended far to the side when stepping on the scale- as long as you capture the first weight that shows, before the numbers bounce around a little, you can come in 3-5 lbs lighter.  The nurses laughed when I tried this, but it worked.

Now, about the most recent visit: I am almost able to predict the entire conversation Dr J and I will have.  I got it right again this week.  Thursday we decided that it would be pointless to take chemo which may not be effective.  So, I got a week off (YEAH) and we ran the blood through the CA27.29 test - which determines the level of ones tumor markers.  Results came back on Friday and show an increase again.  So, Abraxene is no longer an effective chemo for me.  I am moving to the next option, Eribulin, which you can read about here.  I think I need to send some new banner suggestions to the company.  "Put time on your side" with a picture of a old cancer patient isn't very appealing.  Also, the copy is horrible.  It tries to encourage by telling me that in clinical trials (older women with metastatic breast cancer) live an average of 13.2 months compared to those treated with other therapies, who lived an average of 10.6 months.  We aren't looking for months live, but treatment cycles without tumor growth.  Every other research study I have read talks in these terms.

To be clear, we are not fighting for the last 10.6 months here friends.  I will use Eribulin for a long as it is effective.  Over time tumors build a resistance to chemo-therapies, hence changing all of the time.  When I develop a resistance to this one there are a myriad of others and we will keep cycling through.

I feel that my prayers were answered.  Dr J and I discussed a laundry list of topics on my mind.  I also feel that this is the right step.  It sure isn't the step I would like to be taking.  I want to be telling you that I was miraculously cured - something that happens in about 2% of cases like mine. 

I am, however, happy to tell you that I am blessed,  I am loved, and I am thankful.  And, life is normal.  I am off to pay rent, shop for a graduation dress with my daughter and clean out closets.  I bet dozens have the same, or similar things on your list of things to do today.

No comments: