Thursday, April 10, 2014

Treatment update

Today was my week back to the Onc after three glorious weeks off.
The blood they drew today on the CBC shows my white cell and red cell counts are (microscopically) lower than ideal. This is weird to me given that I had 3 weeks off, but I did recently travel on an airplane, so it goes without saying that I probably contracted some germs en route. 
Some of the blood will also be tested to determine my tumor marker levels.  If my counts are steady I will be shocked, but also will enjoy more time off from chemo.  Steady counts would not follow the trend.
If the counts increased while I was on a break from chemo then I will start chemo next week.  This is the most likely outcome.  I am ready to do it, even if it is with a bit of a heavy heart.  Oh man, hasn't it been awesome to not load any more drugs into my system. 
And, when it comes to chemo there are still options.  I could go back on the one I was using.  And, there are two others that I can try.  Options are good.
Yahoo - another week without cancer treatments!

No comments: