Sunday, November 2, 2014

Medical expenses. Shocking.

I got a bill today and without looking closely I was shocked to see a 5 digit figure as my portion for my recent hospital stay. Because I had gone through another mountain of medical bills just an hour earlier (which ironically totaled $666) I couldn't handle thinking about that much money so I just walked away for a while. 
Upon closer inspection tonight I see it was not the bill for an inpatient stay, but for the biopsy that was done about a month ago. $12k+ for the biopsy?  $12k to tell me I am sick?  I hope when I call my insurance company they can make this nightmare (the bill) go away. 
Money and the cost of my cancer care is a subject I haven't blogged about. One reason is that I am a very proud woman. But, cancer is expensive. I spend more on medical care each year than our annual household income when my second child was born about 10 years ago. 
Socialized medicine, required health insurance, Obamacare... NEVER bring up those subjects with me. It will get ugly. 

No comments: