Thursday, September 19, 2013

Oops! Is that my car out of gas?



IT IS LAUREN'S FAULT!!!!

Even from 1,500 miles away she is making me run out of gas!

I was rushing off to my chemo injection, trying to make good time because I was a touch behind.  I lost track of time while working, but I was still going arrive within 5 minutes of my appointment, so I decided to just get gas after.  I mean, it is only 4 miles.  Just as I prepare to change lanes and circle around to the connecting interstate my car began "running" silently. 

Part 1:
"Oh, no.  Really?  Come on, just go a bit further.  Oh stop honking, can't you see I just turned my hazard lights on?  Do you think I wanted to a rest stop in the middle lane of the tollway? Just a little farther.  YES!  I can pull of there."
Calling mom, "Hi.  Can you help me?   I need gas."   I really hoped mom would just bring it.  But, nope, she brought dad.  He is not going to be happy about this. 
Gas can emptied into tank.
Give him something to think about besides how stupid it is to run out of gas.
"Well, would you like some chemo?" 
Dad: "What?" 
"I am going to go get some chemo, but I will share."
Dad: "Uh, maybe see if your mom wants to go."
Mom decides to come and we get int the car.

Car won't start!?#!
Stop Dad from driving off.
Dad jump starts the car successfully after 2 tries.
After gathering Mom, Dad, 2 NTTA Customer Care Car Service guys, zip off to the hospital knowing full well that if the battery was too dead to start right up on one try it isn't going to start after chemo when I have to rush off to take on of the kids for a check-up.
Decide I should have been shopping more aggressively for a new car.

Part 2:
Enjoy my soapy, internally cleansing Abraxane, laugh with Nurses H and C, tease Nurse S, and tell Dr J that this chemo is sooo much easier to manage than the Zeloda.  Check out the green smoothie the other nurse is drinking and compare recipes.
Zoom off to check kiddies out of school to get to the check-up I know will include 2 hours of waiting. 

Part 3:
Running tight on time so I am too hungry to stop for a 2:30 lunch.  Luck me, the check-up was lickity-split.
My mom is preparing to start a specialty baby blanket e-store.  She makes the sweetest cuddly blankets with crocheted lace edges.  She has designed her own edges.  They are
the most beautiful gifts.  I loved having them and love it even more when I get to give one to a friend.  
I will be creating the website so we begin to talk marketing.  Kiddo #2 comes up with an awesome name when the rest of us are too stumped to be creative. 

Part 4:
Finally, most of the most time sensitive tasks for the day are out of the way.  I ran into an old friend I haven't talked to in years.  We were just getting caught up when I had what my daughter called a "911 bathroom emergency" when she was in kindergarten. 
(Some of the details of chemo are less glamorous than the movies make them out to be.  It isn't all sweaty vomit and grey skin.)
So, it is about time to call it a day.  Only 6 more hours of things to do.  Soccer, getting everyone in bed, work for a couple hours to make up the hours I was stranded on the side of the road or hanging out with half of the medical population of Dallas.

Conclusion:

Who would have thought that the chemo would be the easy part of today?  



No comments: