Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Name of the Game... Wait & Hope

After discovering that the old regimen Faslode and Xgeva aren't working the doctors office has been working with my insurance, special prescription program for the insurance, etc to get a new protocol approved and in place.

They are trying to arrange for me to take Armasin, another hormone blocker (technically it is a aromatase inhibitor, which is commonly used as a second line of defense when the patient builds up a resistance to Faslodex. But the magic bullet is the addition of Afinitor, a medicine used in the treatment of other cancers, but was very recently tested in treatment of metastatic  breast cancer.  You can read about the success of the study here. Women in the study were found to go 2x longer without the advance of the disease, but that 2x is the difference between 3 and 7 months.  I wish that it was years and years.

So, why this treatment?  Why not something more aggressive?

Metastatic Breast Cancer is at least a chronic condition, but it is generally a terminal diagnosis.  I have been hopeful that somehow a miracle would take the cancer into a non-advancing and undetectable state.  That isn't happening yet.  The reality is that the use of Afinitor and Armasin (The Double A's) is a less toxic choice.  If it can treat the cancer for now, then I don't have to use chemo again yet.

Chemo is a poison that kills more than just the cancer cells.  Treatments like AA are targeted therapies and do not do the damage to the rest of the body that chemo does.  So, when the time comes, which it likely will, when I have to use chemo again my body will be less beat-up.  At some point, patients who have to take chemo after chemo find their body can't tolerate it any more, and possibly that the cancer won't respond to it any longer.  Using AA will allow me more options in the future.

And what is the cost of this magic drug showing such promise?  Right now the insurance company is still reviewing the request for approval, but if they approve it they will help pay for it, great idea considering the cost, you can see that here, although these are Canadian drug sellers, American pharmacy costs are about the same.

But, here is where the Canadian CED says that the cost is so high the the value of doubling the length of time a patient has advancement of their disease isn't worth it, and here you see other countries agree.  So, the doctors office begins working on financial assistance at the same time they are working on approval with insurance.

Anyway, no matter the cost and choice that is made it is time for this process to get moving along. This week would be my week for the next treatment of the old regimen, so the drugs will be out of my system for the introduction of the new regimen.

I have been looking for new ways to help my body fight through whole foods and supplements again.  Today I went to Whole Foods and purchased Flax Oil for a new smoothie have learned about.  I also bought Shitake mushrooms ($14.99/lb.) because I read about their power in "Waking the Warrior Goddess" book.  I went to Costco for more CoQ10.  I bought fruit and veggies and $$$ later I came home too tired to care if I eat or not.  I went for a couple fists full of chips - quick and easy. I think I will have a smoothie for dinner now and go to bed.

Keep close to hear about the shitake mushrooms and other new foods I am going to try.

1 comment:

Erin the Mom said...

Gosh, Mikkel! I really didn't have any idea you were going through all of this! I saw your sister Whitney at my mom's funeral, and she tearfully said how much support my mom had been to you lately, but I didn't get to hear what kind of support because there were so many people and so much "emotional" going on all around. I've only discovered in the last month that you're fighting cancer. It took me a while to figure out how to contact you, but I found your blog through the post you put on my blog. YOU ARE IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS!

I have thought about you a TON in the last couple of weeks especially, because I had to go in for a biopsy of a cluster of "calcifications" they found in my right breast. Turns out it was benign (thankfully!), but as I've awaited that news I have had you on my mind. I've wondered how you cope with all you are going through. I've decided the only thing that is of value and worth clinging to where coping is concerned is the knowledge that we are all Heavenly Father's children, that He has a plan for each of us that is wise beyond what we can see, and He knows what each of us needs in order to learn, grow, advance spiritually, and serve Him to the best of our abilities.

I have had a handful of friends who have experienced debilitating or life-threatening illnesses. In them I hear and see such a greater depth of understanding, such maturity of spirit, and I see that in you as I read your blog. I wish that kind of growth could come without the hurts and pains of life, but I trust Heavenly Father knows what He's doing!

Sorry to write a novel on your "comments" page! I just needed to let you know how very much you are in my thoughts and prayers right now!

Love you, Mikkel.
--Erin