Friday, October 7, 2011

Blood Tests

I am finally able to call myself a 5 year Breast Cancer Survivor.
Proud of my new title I went in for a check-up with the Onc.
I knew there was something when he took so long to come back to the room after the exam. Well, there were concerns with the blood they tested earlier this week, the CA27.29 is elevated. This tumor marker, though reputable for its lack of reliability, signals that there may be an enemy setting up camp in my bones.
How do I know this? After a bilateral mastectomy where else can it go?
Damn bones, I thought I was just weak and suffering from carrying extra weight. Funny thing, every doctor is concerned about your weight unless you are facing a cancer fight. Then, it is all about your blood, bones, and soft tissue.
So now what?
Well, I get to wait until they call me to schedule a PET/CT. This totally awesome experience is all about skipping meals and pumping your veins with something a little more action packed than blood. PET scans are high priced naps on a narrow, hard board inside a little tiny, cold tunnel with radioactive glucose matter coursing through your veins.
Scientifically speaking: The radioactive glucose is radioactive, so visable on scan results, and glucose (or sugar filled) so it is metabolized quickly in the areas of the body that are most active. And, cancer cells are active! Duh, they multipy and divide like maniacs. That is how they find the areas that appear to be cancerous.
Well, pump me up- Make me glow in the dark. I can take it.

No comments: